Trail News and Alerts
- We’re in the top 10! Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Names The Legacy Trail as one of the 2021 top 10 trails in Florida. Click here for complete article.
- Tour de Parks 2021 is Cancelled: Sadly, the 2021 Tour de Parks has been cancelled due to COVID-19 concerns. If you were registered for this event, click here for information regarding your options.
- North Port Connector Virtual Meeting: Sarasota County will hold a Virtual Public Meeting to discuss the North Port Connector on Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 5 p.m. To register, please visit https://www.scgov.net/government/sarasota-county-capital-projects-public-meetings. Please register by Tuesday, Jan. 26.
- Name the Trailheads: Help us name the three new Legacy Trail trailheads. For more information on naming criteria and how to submit, visit scgov.net/legacytrail.
- Beginning Wednesday, Jan. 13: Contractors have placed a fence across the existing Legacy Trail, just north of Culverhouse Nature Park, to delineate the active work area of the Legacy Trail Northern Extension Project. Please turn around at the designated area, and do not enter the active construction site.
- Wednesday, Jan. 20, Laurel Park: Surrey Ride season kicks off at Laurel Park. The program will be running every Wednesday through April 14 with rides occurring at 10 a.m., 11 a.m., and 12 p.m. For more information, including registration, click here.
- Friday, Jan. 22: County staff will be working with the Sheriff’s Offender Work Program to remove Brazilian pepper along the Legacy Trail Access from McIntosh Road.
Ring In the New Year
Start the new year off right with a FREE bike bell! Starting Saturday, January 16 from 9:00 a.m. – 12 noon, Friends of The Legacy Trail will be giving away bike bells at our information table located at the Bay Street-Legacy Trail intersection. Bells will be free to FLT members or to people who sign up for a membership, make a purchase, or make a donation of $5 or more. Easy, friendly, and effective, these bells can be used to alert others when passing — and to ring in the new year!
Update on the Trail Extension Progress and Schedule
In this latest Sarasota County video Jon Robinson and Nichole Rissler review the the year’s progress on the trail extension and provide an update on where we are now.
Total To Date: $88,403 from 719 Donations.